Friday, March 27, 2015

"Pegu Club Cocktail...a confirmed classic"




I have seen this cocktail in several of my classic cocktail books, but in truth, I have never made it...until now.  Earlier today I purchased a set of vintage Fostoria Art Deco Era etched cocktail glasses and wanted to christen them with a drink worthy of such beauty.  


*Fostoria Art Deco Era etched cocktail glass


The Pegu Club and it's namesake cocktail have all but disappeared from it's present day Myanmar, however there has been a resurgence due to tourism.  The cocktail first appears in Harry McElhone's "Barflies and Cocktails" (1927) then again in the "Savoy Cocktail Book"  (1930) by Harry Craddock and yet again in Patrick Gavin Duffy's "Official Mixer's Manual" (1934).  The recipe is relatively the same in each book, but the measurements vary...here is my first go with this cocktail...


*Three of my classic cocktail reference books

Barragan's Pegu Club Cocktail

2 oz Boodles Gin
1 oz Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao
1/2 oz Lime Juice
dash of Angostura Bitters
dash of Regan's Orange Bitters

No comments:

Post a Comment