Tuesday, July 1, 2014

"A retrospect on Yuengling, America's Oldest Brewery"
During my study of beers and pursuit of my Cicerone Certification, I have read many beer books.  Each of which has pointed to Yuengling as making the prototype for American pre-prohibition lagers.  Unfortunately, there is no Yuengling to be found in California.  This happens quite a bit when it comes to tracking down beers that are brewed almost exclusively for Eastern U.S. markets.  Luckily for me, during last years road trip across the U.S. with my son we stumbled upon Downtown Nashville's, Printer's Alley.

In truth it was the bottom sign that caught my eye...just being real...we followed the noise to a crowded karaoke bar and much to my surprise they had my much sought after Yuengling Lager.  It was dry, crisp and clean with a fair amount of hoppiness...it was every bit as good as I had expected!

The roots of this brewery were seeded in 1829 as David G. Yuengling established the Eagle Brewery on Centre Street in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. The brewery passed from father to son several times and thrived until 1919 when the Eighteenth Amendment was ratified.  In order to survive, Yuengling switches gears to producing near beers and even constructs a dairy.  Then in 1933, the dark days of Prohibition ended a Yuengling celebrates by producing "Winner Beer" and ships a truckload to President Franklin D. Roosevelt.  As time marched on Yuengling continued to thrive and in 1976 was recognized on the national and state registers as America's Oldest Brewery.  This year marks 185 years of brewing an American Classic.  Let's hear it for the good ole' USA!  Cheers!
http://www.yuengling.com/

                              *My all American Red, White and Blue Dog with Yuengling Lager

No comments:

Post a Comment