Wednesday, July 29, 2015

"Robert Biale and their storied Black Chicken"


I remember the first Biale Zinfandel that I ever had.  A regular guest invited myself and a fellow bartender out for dinner.  We were dining at Wolfgang's in Beverly Hills and Billy (my fellow bartender) had asked if I had ever had a Biale Zin...at the time my answer was no.  Since then, I have pulled many corks of Biale and it has become one of my favorite wines.



The Biale family has been in the Napa family since 1937.  Their farm was located on the outskirts of the town Napa in what is now the Oak Knoll District.  This was during some of America's darkest time...that's right...Prohibition!  Luckily, the farm produced a variety of produce and did grow a native zinfandel grape, which most was sold to Napa wineries but, they did manage to keep a little to make some homemade wine for the family.  They also had a large population of white leghorn chickens that produced a steady supply of farm fresh eggs.

Enter entrepreneurial, wine savvy,  Aldo Biale.  Aldo discreetly made a large cache of wine annually and created a code word for his jug wine...it became affectionately known as the "Black Chicken."  At the time rural phones were on a "Party Line" which was frequented by nosy eavesdroppers but, for unassuming listeners the list of produce, eggs and the exotic "poultry" would be not so news worthy.


*I am always on the lookout for the Black Chicken

Currently, the Robert Biale Vineyards focuses on single vineyard zinfandel.  We tasted through a wide array of zinfandels produced from Napa and Sonoma and each is uniquely different.  Many consider this to be our native grape and it deserves respect.

*This was our view for our tasting....ahhhhh!

Zinfandel is one of my favorite varietals and I love to shock and awe people with it.  Many people don't know that it is first a red varietal...don't even mention the white stuff in my presence!  Typically it shows red berry jam fruit and has a pepper spice finish and in the hands of good winemaker the layers will vary.  Most professionals will say drink it fresh but, I have a different view.  I believe a well made zinfandel can age and get better with time!  I have proved it to naysayers time and time again...many a great Napa cabs have been sleighed by an aged Biale Zinfandel.

  
Don't believe me?!  Grab your best ...I have mine ready!

Thank you Coach for your amazing hospitality!  Cheers!

http://www.robertbialevineyards.com/index-2.html


No comments:

Post a Comment