Tuesday, June 3, 2014

"What's an Old Fashioned?"


I love a good cocktail.  I especially love a cocktail with a bit of history behind it.  One such cocktail is the Old Fashioned.  Being a student of the history of cocktails can get a little confusing especially when siting "true origins".  I choose to give credit for this particular cocktail to the Pendennis Club.  This private club in Louisville, Ky was established in 1881 and was the first to use the name "Old Fashioned" for their Bourbon whiskey house cocktail.
Last year, my son and I set out on a cross-country road trip to visit breweries and distilleries across the United States.  Knowing we would be in Louisville I decided to contact the Pendennis Club in hopes of visiting the birthplace of my beloved "Old Fashioned".  The President of the Club extended me the highest honor and said he would host me upon my arrival in Louisville.
The Club extended me an hour and half tour of their historic and secret filled clubhouse.  Upon completion I was told I could have full use of their facilities as their guest.  My only request was to have another "Old Fashioned"!  As seen in the top picture, the classic "Old Fashioned" is built in the glass with a muddled orange slice, maraschino cherry, sugar cube and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters.  Add ice and top with 2 ounces of your favorite bourbon.
As with most things, there is always room for improvement.  The bottom picture is the "Barragan Old Fashioned".  I have chosen to build and muddle my cocktail in a beaker with several orange slices, a couple of Luxardo Maraschino Cherries, sugar and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters.  Add 2 ounces of bourbon and stir to mix all ingredients.  Add ice once stirred well and chill.  Strain into "Old Fashioned Glass" with large ice cube and garnish with an orange zest and one Luxardo Maraschino Cherry.pendennisclub.org

No comments:

Post a Comment