Wednesday, October 15, 2014

"I see your Martini and raise you a Martinez"



The other day I was training my cousin who is working towards his Sommelier Certification and we were going over their cocktail portion of the program.  I came across a note card with the heading "Sweet Martini"...I was curious and thought what it could be...before I turned the card over I guessed it was a "Martinez"...sure enough, the recipe was a crude rendition of this classic cocktail.

The classic "Martinez" is the precursor to the Martini.  Credit is given to Jerry Thomas who is said to have made this drink for an imbiber that was on his way to Martinez, California.  Most classic recipes call for Old Tom Gin, but each bartender is allotted a little lee-way...here is my rendition of this classic cocktail.

Martinez the Barragan way

2oz Plymouth Gin
1oz Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
Dash of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
2 dashes Regan's Bitters
garnish with a lemon zest

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment