Wednesday, February 22, 2017

In search of the HaLo...Trefethen


I remember the first time I ever tasted Trefethen's HaLo...it was love at first sip!  In my early days at Saddle Peak Lodge, a generous couple were celebrating their anniversary and had opened a bottle of this magnificently decorated Napa flagship wine.  I had tasted many of Trefethen's other wines, including Riesling, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon, but had never been fortunate enough to taste the HaLo.  This silky, dark garnet beauty filled my mouth with lush fruits, hints of chocolate, subtle notes of tobacco, smoke and finished with bold tannins that carried on through a velvety finish. Exquisite! 

The Trefethen Ranch is built on the 19th century Eschol Winery and six adjoining small farms in what is now the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley.  The property was acquired in 1968 by Eugene and Catherine Trefethen.  Eugene had been a key executive for Kaiser Industries and upon his retirement, decided to buy himself a ranch and sell grapes.  John, their son, had other plans.  While studying at Stanford, he began experimenting with fermentation.  A few years later, with his new bride, Janet, they began producing Trefethen's first commercial wine.  Just three years later, the winery's 1976 Chardonnay won "Best Chardonnay in the World" honors at the 1979 Gault Millau World Wine Olympics in Paris.


Currently the tastings are poured at the Villa due to the 2014 Earthquake.  The original Eschol Winery was badly damaged, but the restoration is nearly complete and I can not wait to go back and see it!

Our special VIP tasting...amazing!

After our tasting, I wanted to know a little more about the HaLo just for my own knowledge.  Gary informed me that it is taken from John and Janet's children.  At the time, the kids were heading off to college and they wanted to entice them to come back to the Ranch once their studies were done.  What better way than to name your flagship wine after them...Hailey and Loren...HaLo

Janet enlisted a French artist to create the iconic HaLo label...this is the original artwork that hangs in the Villa Living Room


My own HaLo story is quite moving...two years ago a regular, who had gone missing for a few months showed up on a cold December night for a burger.  Steve was a standing regular on Thursday nights.  He and his buddies would come in for burgers and brews.  Steve usually drinks Diet Coke.  I was so happy to see him and I could tell he was struggling and uneasy.  I told him that I was worried about him and was happy to see him.  He went on to tell me about a knee surgery gone wrong and had just spent the better part of the past 3 months dealing with that.  After he had enjoyed his Prime Burger, I told him "Merry Christmas" and that I was happy to see him and that it was my treat.  I gave him a hug and sent him on his way.  Steve was a bit misty, thanked me and said this is just what he needed.  An hour later, Steve walked in with a bottle in hand.  He said when he got to his car he broke down in tears.  When he got home he told his wife about our time at the bar and that he needed to do something special for me.  He went on to tell me how moved he was with my gesture, that I was like an angel that lifted his spirit and that I had earned my halo.


My HaLo


The kids have returned and are poised to put their knowledge to work towards the Trefethen credo..."One Family, One Estate, One Passion."

Somm in the vineyard with the sleeping vines of the Trefethen Ranch


A big thank you to Gary for an amazing tasting and a huge thank you to the Trefethen Family for all your efforts!



No comments:

Post a Comment