Wednesday, September 3, 2014

"Earth, Wind and Beer...Uinta!"


My good friend Larry James told me about this amazing little brewery up in Salt Lake City several years back and I remember my first reaction..."they make beer in Utah?"  I soon discovered that they absolutely make beer there...pretty damn good beer I might add.  Last year Danny and I took a road trip across the U.S. and this was one of the first stops.

Uinta Brewing Company began in 1993 in a small renovated mechanic's garage with a mission to brew world class, full-flavored, craft beer.  By 2001 they had outgrown their original building and moved to a 26,000 square foot facility.  During our visit we were given a sneak peak into their new expansion facility and tasting room (just recently completed)

Since 2001 Uinta Brewing has been 100% wind-powered, becoming the first Utah company to reach this mark.  In an effort to continue its commitment to using renewable resources, Uinta Brewing installed solar-electric paneling on the brewery's roof in 2011.

*Right from the "Mother's Tit"...no I didn't make that up either

*Hop Notch doesn't get any fresher than this

Recently Danny came home for a visit and I decided to surprise him with some Hop Notch...or so I thought.  Turns out that the beer we came to love, had an identity crisis.  Danny questioned me about the name change and I hadn't even noticed...the packaging was identical with the exception of "Nosh" instead of "Notch".  Turns out the company decided to embrace their inner foodie and thought that this boastful 7.3% IPA was literally more like a "hoppy snack."  Same great beer...same great taste...same great buzz... I am ok with it!



I love to see brewers using barrels and these guys do not disappoint.  Back in 2010, Uinta launched it's Crooked Line Series.  These beers were dubbed their "big beers" both in taste, alcohol content and size of the bottle.  The entire line-up is packaged in 750 ml and are cork finished.  This picture shows several High West barrels over my right shoulder...that makes me very happy!  (We visited High West Distillery about an hour after this picture was taken)


Could these guys be an happier?  It probably had a lot to do with the two cases that were donated to our drive across the United States.  A big thanks to the team at Uinta Brewing!  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment