Thursday, September 18, 2014

"The Macallan"


Back in March 2003, my best friend and blood brother and I set out for Speyside and it's crown glory, Macallan.  This was the first Scotch whisky I had come to love (years earlier) and on this day, it was a dream come true.  I had contacted them months earlier and had asked if they would be willing to accept us for a visit...much to my surprise they had a red carpet tour ready for us that did not disappoint.

My love for scotch was not anything that came easy.  You see, I wanted to be a scotch drinker in the worst way.  My grandfather, Charles Sherwood, was Chief of Police here in San Fernando and the Chief only drank scotch...Johnnie Walker Black and on the rocks.  It was such a "manly" drink and as much as I tried, I just couldn't get my taste buds to understand its hidden secrets.  Luckily for me, the first bartending job I ever had was at Fin's Seafood and the owner, Moez, only drank Macallan.  Twelve year on most nights...Eighteen on good nights...on really good nights he would say "pour yourself one"!  Not wanting to disappoint the boss, I reluctantly would pour a small one. (oh how I wish I could go back in time and adjust those pours!)  The big surprise was the sweet sherry finish and silky smooth sexiness of an 18 year Macallan.  She was just old enough for my taste buds and turns out she was my backdoor into scotch and I have never looked back.


The Easter Elchies House in the Spiritual Home of Macallan.  This fine example of a Highland manor house was built in the 1700's.  The estate covers 390 acres of which some 90 acres are sown in the spring with their own exclusive Minstrel barley variety to make The Macallan.




The river Spey, one of Scotland's most famous salmon rivers, borders the estate to the south and south-east.  The top photo was taken just to the south of the Easter Elchies manor overlooking the Spey River.  A true Macallan drinker may notice the crown on the bridges as part of Macallan's former logo.  The logo is now the Easter Elchies manor.

*The center bottle was purchased at the estate.  Notice the logo compared to the current releases.

The Macallan is known for it's signature sherry finish.  This is the only scotch producer that owns and maintains its barrel manufacturing, ageing and seasoning process from start to finish.  The casks are filled and aged with Oloroso Sherry before they even get to Scotland.  Once the barrels are "seasoned" they are shipped to the distillery and filled with scotch. Macallan spends 3 times the amount of money on their barrel process compared to all other producers combined.

Whether you are a novice or experienced scotch drinker, Macallan needs to be appreciated for the care and thought that goes into their production.  For me it will always be my first love in the scotch world ...and you always have a special place for your first love.

Slainte agad-sa!


No comments:

Post a Comment