Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"The color will seduce you...the taste will make you love her...The Boulevardier"


The Boulevardier is a classic cocktail that is often credited to Harry McElhone of Harry's New York Bar in Paris.  The cocktail comes to light as a favorite tipple of Erskine Gwynne, expatriate writer, socialite, and nephew of railroad tycoon Alfred Vanderbilt.  The original recipe is listed as 1/3 Campari, 1/3 Italian Vermouth and 1/3 bourbon whisky.



I have come across many recipes for this drink in the past few years and I have found that a touch more bourbon in the mix seems to fit my fancy.  Campari can over-power a softer styled bourbon and in my humble opinion, cocktails need a base spirit.  I consider this cocktail a bourbon cocktail and herby submit my own recipe with my own twist...

Barragan's Boulevardier

2 oz Bulleit Bourbon
1 oz Campari
1 oz Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth
Combine all ingredients in a mixing beaker and stir well.  Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with an orange twist.(most recipes call for a cherry or lemon twist, but since this cocktail is a riff on a Negroni, I prefer an orange zest to pull it together.)


No comments:

Post a Comment